Wednesday, July 18, 2007

John James Sappet III August 19, 1969 - July 18, 2007

Johnny peacefully left us this morning at home with his wife and brother by his side.


For those of you learning about JJ's death here for the first time we offer our apologies for the impersonal medium. I have faith in your understanding though, because if you know JJ enough to check this blog you will realize how difficult it would be to personally contact all the people he touched throughout his life.

Services and an after party to share stories and pictures will be held in central Massachusetts. They will take place on a Saturday to make it easier for you to join us. Presently we think this will happen Saturday August 4th. The location and a confirmed date will be posted here once the arrangements have been finalized. I ask you to email me at mdilling@zygo.com if you hope to make the memorial so that we may plan accordingly.

As painful as this experience has been since mid-February I will be forever grateful for many things as I believe most closest to JJ would concur. First and foremost I will forever be grateful for, and in awe of, Liz Sappet. The strength, grace and openess with which she handled her husband and his illness will forever be inspirational to us all.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to send cards, pictures, well wishes and prayers. It's unfortunate that you will never truly know just how much comfort it brought him. The outpouring of love amazed him every morning when he woke up to see all the cards Liz had hung for him.

There are people who you meet that make an impact on your life. Sometimes the impact is significant and you become close for a year or two.
Then there are people you meet that change your life and your perspective of it forever regardless how often you see them.

May you rest in peace our friend. We love you dearly and will miss you sorely.

Much Love,
Mark

9 comments:

Lizottes said...

Though we knew the inevitable, still nothing can prepare us for this day. John was only 37, but he had a lifetime of love...a once in a lifetime love of your life, three amazing best friends and their families, one incredible brother (Jeremy, he spoke often of how much he appreciated all you have done), two loving parents and sisters, and lots of loving in-laws, nieces and nephews. God bless you, John.

Vito Bavaro said...

Our hearts go out to the JJ's family. The world will miss JJ's smile.

Russ Bacon said...

I just learned about JJ’s situation a few weeks ago. I wish all of his family, friends and those he has touched in his life, the strength to get through this difficult time. One thing I know for sure is once the grieving has passed, memories, funny stories and laughter with an occasional tear will fill the void left behind. I haven’t seen or talked to JJ since Nashoba, but I remember him like it was yesterday. Even though it’s been 20 years, I will miss him for sure. My prayers are with you all.
Russ Bacon

Dana said...

"We may not find meaning in his death, but we can find meaning in his life." My rabbi said something like this when my brother, Jason, died the day before his 17th birthday. May it provide some comfort to those who love JJ.

Dana said...

"We may not find meaning in his death, but we do find meaning in his life". My rabbi said something like this when my brother, Jason, died the day before his 17th birthday. May it help us as we remember JJ.

Eric Smith said...

I was talking with my wife about JJ's situation the day before I heard that he had passed away. She recommended that I say here what I said to her. We went to high school together, and although JJ and I were not close I always remember his easy smile and ability to connect with anyone and everyone, which is sometimes hard to do in high school. I have taken those things with me and try to incorporate them in my life.

JJ, when I think of you I smile, which is a good way to be remembered.

Marcia Prucha said...

We first heard about JJ in February through church (The First Parish of Bolton), and as a congregation have lit a candle for him and his family every Sunday since. JJ has been in my thoughts and prayers every day. Although I haven't seen JJ since our high school years, I am deeply saddened by his loss. May his family and friends find strength, love and courage through this time. And I wish you all much peace.

cheryl burke said...

It seems strange to say that I hardly knew John considering he and my husband Tom were best friends. But, John and Liz were living in Florida before Tom and I got together. In any case, I can remember every time I ever saw John. The first time was at a Red Sox game, the next 2 times John and Liz were at our weddings (yes, there was 2). In fact, John and Liz were the only 2 people in the world other than Tom and I that were at both our weddings...that is how important John is to Tom. In Tom's eyes, JJ wasn't only his best man, he was THE BEST MAN. The final times I saw John were during his illness. I can remember the same things from every encounter...his smile and his sense of humor. In those few moments John touched my life and I was able to see why Tom loves him so much. I am sorry to all of you who lost a friend, a brother, an uncle, a son, and a love of a life-time. My thoughts, prayers and love are with you all.

Unknown said...

I had the opportunity to work with John in Florida for only 7 months, but kept in touch with this amazing young man. His smile, his easy going manner, his sweet spirit, will not be forgotten. He always took the high road, he never spoke poorly of anyone. John, you have been an inspiration to so many people, you have been a blessing in so many lives....I will see you one day, my friend....May God bless your family and may they know that you are at rest and in the arms of love.